Retaining walls are one of the cost-effective investments that you can have in your outdoor spaces. Property owners in Brisbane have a variety of retaining wall materials to choose from. You can choose a material depending on your budget and the functionality and design you want to achieve. However, if you do not have any idea about these materials, it can be a lot harder to choose from the numerous options. Having some basic knowledge about it can relieve some of the stress of searching for the best fit for your property.
What do you think will work best for your property? What functionalities and aesthetic appeal do you want to achieve? Let’s dig in deeper and know some of the details about concrete and timber retaining walls to give you an overview of which one to choose.
Concrete Retaining Wall
Concrete retaining walls have two forms: poured-in-place concrete and concrete blocks. It is a popular alternative because of its strength and durability. If you are looking for a permanent choice for your retaining wall, concrete can be a great option. Besides that, here are its other advantages:
- can support more weight compared to other materials
- withstand harsh weather conditions
- does not need frequent cleaning
- poured concrete can be molded into different designs
- concrete blocks can have a smooth or textured finish
- not vulnerable to rotting, warping, or splitting
- can last for a long time
Timber Retaining Wall
Timber is a classic choice, especially for those looking for a material that exudes a warm and welcoming appeal. It is an excellent alternative for those looking for a natural accent in their outdoor spaces. Besides that, here are the other reasons why timber is a popular choice for many:
- cheaper than other retaining wall materials
- easier to install, so if you plan to have a DIY retaining wall, this material can be your best option
- offers flexible options for design and can create a range of natural aesthetic appeals such as rustic, country, forest, and more
- if installed and appropriately treated, timber retaining walls can last for 15 to 20 years
- can easily blend with the surrounding space
Transform your outdoor spaces into a usable and high-quality investment. Retaining walls are a valuable addition to your property because of the support and curb appeal it provides. However, considering what materials to utilize for it can be a tough decision for you. You have to consider your budget, location, and several other factors that matter—research and know more about your choices to narrow down your search.
Concrete and timber are the leading materials for retaining walls in Brisbane. Both materials have their strengths and weaknesses. However, there is no black or white condition when choosing the suitable materials for retaining walls because it will significantly depend on what you need and prefer for your property.
With the information about concrete and timber retaining walls we shared with you, you may already have an idea as to what material to utilize in your next building project. If you have other questions about retaining walls, it is best to consult the experts and landscaping contractors of retaining walls in Brisbane.